GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

It sounds like it's going to dye at idle speed. I have

Customer Question
It sounds like it's...

It sounds like it's going to dye at idle speed. I have a1988

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

305 firebird with tbi fuel injection

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Firebird?

1988

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Firebird yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried increasing the idle by adjusting the distributor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No think that's it

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: GMC
9/18/2017
GMC Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 9 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

This sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

and its also worth trying loosening the fuel filler cap slightly as they have a 1 way valve built in to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum. if the valve is stuck the resulting vacuum can stall the fuel pump

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you