GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

2011 duramax engine code P205B, code P205B have reset it 1…

Customer Question
2011 duramax engine code...

2011 duramax engine code P205B

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

Code P205B have reset it 1 time

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '11 GMC?

2500 HD

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Will try to fix it myself since GM wont take care of it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: GMC
9/17/2017
GMC Mechanic: Pete, GMC Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Pete, GMC Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

DTC P205B
- Reductant Tank Temperature Sensor Performance

The engine computer will set this code when it detects an invalid level or temperature serial data message from the sensor in the DEF tank.

In most all cases the fluid tank has to be replaced.There is a diagnostic procedure posted below for this code that needs followed with a compatible scan tool to make sure it is the tank needing replaced.

1. Ignition ON, observe the DTC information with a scan tool. DTC UXXXX should not be set.

◊If a DTC is set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle ( See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions > Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle) for further diagnosis.

2. Ignition ON, observe the scan tool Reductant Temperature. The reading should be warmer than -55°C (-67°F) and colder than 160°C (320°F).

◊If not within the specified range, replace the emission reduction fluid tank.

3. Compare the scan tool Ambient Air Temperature to the Reductant Temperature. The readings should be within 35°C (95°F).

Here is the replacement procedure for this tank.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt5vwuwmac0x1mt/def-09-17.pdf?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, GMC Mechanic