GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

Yeah I have a 2003 GMC Yukon. The battery went bad while

Hello JA: Hello. How can I...
Hello
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Yeah I have a 2003 GMC Yukon. The battery went bad while anti theft was on and now I swapped the battery and it's stuck in the anti theft mode and I can't start it
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: Yeah the battery is new
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: But the other battery went bad completely like I got it warranty on it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm trying to fix myself. I tried leaving the key on the on position for 10 minutes then turn off for 10 seconds and tried to start but it still won't crank
9/16/2017
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

if you follow this completely for 30 minutes it will not start ?

30 Minute Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes , the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
  6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password.

IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

Yeah tried that and still won't crank over

it will not physically crank over at all ?

the theft system just shuts off the fuel injectors no matter what it still should physically crank over

After the lock the door and unlock it will turn like it's going to start then once but when I try the second time it it doesn't do anything so I have to lock the doors again wait then the same thing all over again.

can you be sure both battery cables are both clean and tight

Yeah I doubled checked everything to make sure I wasn't losing my mind and still can't get this ride started. It's been three days already

when you hold the key to crank position do you feel the relay called starter click with your fingers ?

What do you mean?

do you feel it click when you hold the key to crank ?

it clicks

ok can you follow the positive cable off the battery does it go to a junction at the power steering pump area with a plastic red case covering the junction ?

I see it

of you pop that open is the connection in there good and not loose ?

The thing is it will crank once but won't turn over, the second time I got to crank it there is nothing at all. I crank no nothing. I gotta lock the door and unlock it to get it to crank one more time before repeating the steps
Like it's getting no fuel
My battery went bad when it was in the locked and when I put the new battery in the alarm went off and now it won't start

so let me ask what i did before as you told me the engine did NOT physically crank over..now it is ?

It will only crank once but wont turn over, the second time no crank at all

if you connect jumper cables will it crank over just fine ?

It shouldn't need jumper cables considering it's a brand new battery

if it will NOT physically crank over the batter does not have enough power or the cable to the starter have bad connections or the starter is bad

It was missing a fuse. I don't know how a fuse went completely missing out of it. Once I plugged it in it started right up. But now when I start to drive it dies and I have to restart it

can you keep it running with your foot on the gas ?

Yeah but when I start to go it stalls out again. I changed the fuel pump last week
Would a fuel filter cause that?

yes it can

change the fuel filter and if still does this check the fuel pressure

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician