GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

2014 GMC Acadia- horn not working. I checked the fuses &

Customer Question
2014 GMC Acadia- horn...

2014 GMC Acadia- horn not working. I checked the fuses & relay & f

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

30000. Starting normally

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Acadia yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Fuses & relay appear to be o.k. What is my next step

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: GMC
9/16/2017
GMC Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago
Gunvir Singh

HEllo, let me review your request. Please stand by.

GMC Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Do you hear the horn relay click when you press the horn button?

No
That means gaining access to the horn on the passenger side under the front fender behind the fender we'll cover?
GMC Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

No, you can check the signals present at the fuse box at the horn relay terminals. There are 4 pins. Two pins are power from fuse, one is refernce from horn switch/ bcm and last is the output to the horn. Need to make sure which signal is missing when horn is pressed.

I will take my volt meter & find the two hot pins, then I will have my helper press the horn, at that time I will check one of the other pins to determine if I voltage & if I do that would suggest I have voltage to the horn
GMC Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Yes.

GMC Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

If both the power pins have signal and the signal form bcm/hornswitch is present, the relay should click and horn should work.

If I do not have a signal then the issue is at the steering wheel?
GMC Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

If no signal present then there is a possibility of a faulty switch in the steering wheel but since it gets the refernce from the BCM the codes will need to be read with a compatible scan tool to confirm.

If I get all the signals & the relay clicks, the issue is the horn?
GMC Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Yes. If all signals present and still no horn then the problemis the horn or the wiring inbetwee the horn and that relay terminal.

Ok
GMC Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Good luck with your vehicle, And please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

If the key remote will not energize the horn, what does that tell you? Also, if the issue is the horn, is there one or two horns on this model?
GMC Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

If no horn operation from the remote too then it could be the signal from the bcm. This vehcile is equipped with two horns.

GMC Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Please read this:

Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent auto mechanic and do not work at or for Just Answer.

2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me .

3. I only get credit for my work from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer

GMC Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Hello, just checking if any updates?

I decided that if the issue was at the steering wheel I did not think i wanted to tackle that repair myself because of the air bag and etc. So, thanks for you help and you can close this file.
GMC Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

You're welcome and good luck with your vehicle, And please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.