GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I have a 2011 gmc acadia denali with a b0023-od code, yes,

Customer Question
Hello George, I have...

Hello George, I have a 2011 gmc acadia denali with a b0023-od code

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

Yes, tried many things and nothing seems to work

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Acadia yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried resetting with scanner, I looked up the code and it says that is the passenger side roof rail airbag. I looked at the connector and everything seems to be ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't know

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: GMC
9/15/2017
GMC Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This code sets when the airbag module sees high resistance on the right side roof rail airbag squib circuit. This could be the airbag module itself, wiring or connections between the module and airbag, or it could be the airbag itself. Odds are the problem is either the bag itself or a connection problem.

It will require some testing to determine exactly what is wrong. An airbag system load tool is used to simulate the correct loads in place of components and wiring to determine exactly what the problem is. Your dealer would most likely charge around an hour of labor to diagnose the problem.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

Thanks for your reply, I'm trying to figure this out myself with your help. Do you think this can be done without an airbag simulator? I have access to many tools and I have pretty much traced the wire to the computer and everything looks normal. is there anyway to know what loads I'm supposed to be getting from the computer? I have access to shopkey from Mitchell if we have to look at some wiring diagrams. I did a little reading on the code last night and says that its a short to battery. how can I check that? what's the difference between shorted to ground vs shorted to battery? I'm sorry for asking so many questions but I'm trying to learn.

The correct and only safe way to diagnose it accurately is with the load tool.

The code is for high resistance in the circuit.

do you have a name for the load tool or tool number so I can buy it?

You could order one from your dealer but it would be quite cost prohibitive in comparison to paying an hour diagnostic charge to allow your dealer to diagnose it.