Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

We have taken the radio from our sons truck and put it in

Customer Question

we have taken the radio from our sons truck and put it in our truck and we need to unlock it but pressing 2&3 or 1&4 doe not work
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: its getting power it says its locked
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: the truck is an 2003
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we have tried pushing the 2&3 and then we tried pushing the 3&4 buttons like the guide on the web said but it doesn't work
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't guess
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Unfortunately on the newer models like this here starting around 1999 the radios had to be calibrated by a dealer.It no longer works to do the button press to unlock it.The dealer has to plug in their scan tool which will then be connected to their computer to download the programming into the radio to match the VIN in the vehicle it is installed in for it to work.I wish I had better news on this here but this is the only way this can be done.A dealer will charge anywhere from a half hour to an hours labor to do this.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete