GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I have a 2008 gmc sierra 2500hd 6.6 4×4 and it will not

Customer Question
crank brand new batteries turn...
I have a 2008 gmc sierra 2500hd 6.6 4×4 and it will not crank brand new batteries turn the key on lights on the dash come on but as soon as u turn to start it won't do any thing any suggestions?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: GMC
9/10/2017
GMC Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 9 months ago
Joshua Haynes

Good evening! My name is ***** ***** I will assist you

GMC Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 9 months ago

Is there any indication of a clicking or thud or any noise at all when you turn the key on?

No thud just the sound of like a fan coming on and the dinging noise
GMC Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 9 months ago

As you hold it in the "start" position, do all of the lights on the dash go out and the dinging noise stop?

GMC Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 9 months ago

Do you have any electrical equipment like a test light that you can use to test the starter with my help?

I have a volt meter
GMC Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 9 months ago

Awesome, if you are able to get to the starter, there is a pretty simple test that you can run to see if it is getting its signal. Do you have a way to get to the starter and either an assistant to turn the key while you are down there or a long enough test lead to attach on the starter while you have the meter inside with you and you turn the key?

No it's just me
don't have that long of leads
GMC Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 9 months ago

ok, that makes it a bit more difficult... there is a more "shade-tree" way to see if the starter is the problem. If you have a hammer, you can hit the case of the starter with medium force several times and try again...

GMC Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 9 months ago

If it starts after this, then you have a bad starter whose internal magnets are sticking to the case. If it does not start you will need to try to get a helper to run through some tests to either prove that the starter is bad or to rule it out and move on to the rest of the testing that would be required to find the problem.

Me and my dad checked the starter the other day and he said it wasn't getting any power when I turned the key but I'm not for sure if he checked the same thing u r talking about I'd say he did tho he has been a mechanic all his life we r just kinda blind with the newer electronic aide of vehicles
Side*
GMC Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 9 months ago

Ok, that is the test that I was referring to. If he checked and there was no signal to the starter on the small wire, then it is very likely that you have a security problem or possibly an ignition switch or fuse problem. Have you checked fuses yet?

Tried to but didn't know which fuse to check
GMC Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 9 months ago

I will check to find out what fuses control that circuitry

GMC Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 9 months ago

Ok, buddy, I have a few for you, are you ready to check some fuses and swap some relays?

I'm ready lol it's dark here but il do my best
GMC Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 9 months ago

Let me know how it goes and if you have any questions! Please remember to leave me a positive rating!

I believe that's the wrong circuitry because 60 dosnt even have a fuse in it and I did try switching relays didn't change any thing
GMC Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 9 months ago

You are looking in the underhood fuse box, right? And making sure I have the right vehicle: 2008 GMC Sierra HD 6.6L diesel

that is correct I put a 40 amp fuse in that soot just to see and had no luck
GMC Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 9 months ago

Is there any way that you can send me your VIN number?

GMC Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 9 months ago

Has your radio clock reset?

Naw prolly not tonight idk where it would be at and I'm not for sure I came in the house where would the vin number be located?
My clock hasn't reset
GMC Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 9 months ago

The vin number is ***** two places that you should be able to see easily: 1) at the edge of the dash all the way at the windshield at the bottom on the driver's side corner and 2) on a sticker on the door jamb for the driver's door

GMC Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 9 months ago

You should check the following when you are ready:

1) remove both battery terminals on both batteries and make sure that they are clean and tight

2) is the security light on?

--> an easy reset procedure for a security problem involves turning the key in the "on" position for 10 minutes straight and then trying to start the truck

3) There should be two large gauge wires going to your starter from the battery (I think the battery on the driver's side) and they both need to have power at the battery and the starter. There is a fusible link in the middle of one of the wires, and they are prone to burn out.

Hey man I'm gonna try that stuph in the morning will that be okay?
1gthk23648f110955 I think that is the vin number
GMC Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 9 months ago

Let me know when you have done the other things I mentioned

Every thing but the fuse I couldn't find it would it be closer to starter or battery?
I have done every thing I have power coming to the starter no power on the little wire
Could it be key switch?
GMC Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 9 months ago

I am so sorry, I didn't see where you had responded...I think that my system must have frozen on your last reply asking to do it the next day.

Yes, it could be the key switch. If you are not getting any power to the signal wire on the starter, you should begin to trace it up from there. The next easiest place to check would be the starter relay. You want to see if when you turn the key to the "start" position, you are getting power. If not, you would then begin making your way up to the switch.

Could u tell me to replace this switch...i have the bottom plastic piece off and the plastic piece around the steering column removed can't figure out how to get that little box out tho