GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

I have a 2002 GMC Sierra 3500 duallywith a, With a 6.6

I have a 2002 GMC...
I have a 2002 GMC Sierra 3500 dually*****with a
JA: Besides this, what condition is the car in?
Customer: With a 6.6 diesel and Allison tranny. When I get on it and it reaches a shift point the rpm's will level off she throws a lot of black smoke and won't shift up. If I let off the throttle a bit, it will shift and accelerate until the next shift point then act the same way. I have two codes, first one is low fuel pressure under power surge. The second is a class two communication error. What do you think.
JA: Are you fixing your Sierra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I'll be fixing it myself, I've tried nothing yet I haven't had any time and won't until next week.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of. Thank you.
9/7/2017
Marvin the Mechanic
Marvin the Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician

With what you describe. Have you changed the fuel filter lately? with the low fuel code the filter might be starting to get restricted.

I have recently changed the filter, that was my first thought. I misspoke on the code. It was not low pressure on power surge, I should have said power enrichment.

Another thing that might cause this would be an air hose off from the air cleaner to the engine

That I have not checked. I will in the morning and will let you know tomorrow how I made out. Thank you sir.

I will check back in the morning. Do you hear a whistle when you accelerate?

No noises or bad hoses that I can find.

Do you have a scan tool to command the fuel pressure high? See what the fuel pressure will go up to. Also see what the balance rates are on the injectors.

The balance rates are;
1. -1.7
2. 1.3
3. 2.5
4. 1.1
5. 1.9
6. -1.0
7. -1.7
8. .3
As far as fuel pressure I could run it up to 100% but the higher I went the engine would make an increased noise and run a little rough then recover.

The engine will make noise when you increase the pressure. Does the actual vs desired go up together?

it did?
I'm going to pop a new fuel filter in again. Perhaps I got some dirty fuel or a bad filter. At least I'll feel more confident about the filter. Do you think the U1000 class two communication error has anything to do with it? Like maybe it's not allowing the fuel to increase because it's at a shift point and not shifting? It will shift and take off if I feather the pedal a little, but only until the next shift point.

Let me know about the fuel filter.

How did the fuel filter change go? Did the problem get corrected with the fuel filter?

I'm doing the fuel filter this afternoon, I'll keep you posted and thank you for all your help I appreciate it very much.
Changing the filter did nothing however cleaning every communication connection I could find did cure it. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Marvin the Mechanic
Marvin the Mechanic
Marvin the Mechanic