GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

I need to change out the alternator on my truck. It's pretty

I need to change out...
I need to change out the alternator on my truck. It's pretty clear that the alternator is mounted on top, and in plain site. (See photo).
I assume that it just unbolts via the two large visable bolts from the bracket holding it in place. However, it would be nice to know which is the tensioning pulley, and how to properly utilize it to release the belt.
8/21/2017
david craig
david craig, Owner/[email protected] 3D Atuomotive

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. what year model and engine size please?

I forgot to mention that it's a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500, 4.8 liter (I think)
I just sent that.
2008 GMC Sierra 1500 4.8 liter

ok, thanks

There are three pulleys in the photo. Obviously, the right most pulley is the alternator. I just wondered if the tensioning pulley is the center one, ir the one on the lower left.

here you go

its the top left looking at the engine

While looking at the photo I sent, does it look like the tensioning pulley is the one you can barely see in the left hand side of the photo, which was taken while facing the engine from the front of the truck.

yes. just put a socket and breaker bar on it and it should rotate

here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCJZITWaKNU

I think that's everything I need, and I'm ready to "rate" so you can get paid. Unfortunately, this JA web page isn't presenting me with the necessary link with which to do so. This has happened a number of times over the years. Maybe you can do something from your end...

please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you are satisfied with my assistance

thank you

david craig

thank you

david craig
david craig