Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GCM master tech over 25 years
19513769

I have a 2005 GMC Sierra. I have a service air bag message

Hello my name is***** have a 2005 GMC Sierra. I have a service air bag message and my horn does not work. I did a continuity check on the clock spring and both worked. What else could be causing the problem?
JA: Just to clarify, how fast were you going and what did you hit?
Customer: Nothing, I just started the truck and the message showed.
JA: Are you fixing your Sierra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am. I check the clock spring for continuity and it appears that both sides are good.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I recently changed the shifter cable but that was 7-10 days ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

will the key fog chirp the horn when activated ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not sure what you are asking.

on your key fob with the doors closed if you lock the truck with the key fob and arm the alarm will the horn beep ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not have a remote for the vehicle when I bought it used.

if you put your fingers on the horn relay in the underhood fuse box do you feel that relay click when someone pushes the horn pad to operate the horn ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not tried this....where is the relay exactly and is it label in the box under the hood?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry for the delay I forgot to select send.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still there?

it is in the underhood fuse box pop off the cover and under the cover it shows where the relays are

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I found the relay and switched the windshield washer relay with the horn relay and now the horn works...so that solved the problem of the horn but the service air bag indicator is still showing.

good job

try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes

if it is still displayed we have to have the airbag codes read to know what area the fault is in

without knowing the codes it is a guess

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I went by O'Reilly's to get a scan but they told me their scanner would not read a code for the air bag and I would need to take it to a dealer to get the codes.....any advice on getting the codes without the dealer?

a high end scan tool is needed to pull the airbag codes there are many independent shops that have high end scan tools and can pull you the codes for alot less money

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you hope this relay has fixed the issue.

anytime

dont forget to rate me

should be something on your end to rate me

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will do it now. Thanks for your assistance.

anytime