GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

Aveo 2009: replaced engine. Engine starts but shuts off with…

Aveo 2009: replaced engine...

Aveo 2009: replaced engine. Engine starts but shuts off with in 2 or 3 seconds. Any suggestions

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Aveo yourself? What have you tried so far?

Working for Gabino's Auto. He speaks spanish so I (John) am trying to help resolve the problem.He is a very good mechanic but is having problems with this vehicle

8/9/2017
JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician

Is the SECURITY light illuminated when it stalls?

no
as we talk, they are able to keep the engine running by spraying starter fluid directly into the carburator. Note: there is good fuel pressure to the engine

Does the SECURITY light work with key on, engine off?

is there anyone there that speaks spanish?

Not that I am aware of.

The security system will shut off fuel to the engine. That's what I am looking at, if you give the engine fuel, it runs, so the computer must have shut off the fuel.

When the engine was replaced, did you also replace the computer?

He replaced the computer that came with the engine with the computer from the old engine. Engine would not start at all. Went back to the computer that came with the engine. They are are rechecking all connections and rechecked fuel prssure ( still good)

A theft deterrent relearn would probably fix this. This procedure can only be done with a factory scan tool.

You'll need to find someone that has a Tech 2 that can perform the security relearn for you. It's likely that swapping computers has confused the theft system, and that's why fuel is shut off to the engine. Shutting off after 2 seconds is exactly what the theft system will do if the key is not programmed correctly. You can tow it to the dealership for this, or call a locksmith who has this capability.

Please take a moment and rate my answers, that's how I get compensated. Good luck with it!

-Jerry

JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician
It is running now, but just a little rough. We can finish this chat. Thanks.