Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I was driving home yesterday and my stabilitrak message came

Customer Question

I was driving home yesterday and my stabilitrak message came up and the engine light came on. The car started to struggle a bit and had lots of exhaust.
JA: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: The vehicle has not stalled. I need to have the diagnostic test run. What could I expect for cost of repair once problem is diagnosed?
JA: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the GM Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).
Customer: The diagnostic test is going to be 75.00 to hook up to computer. Does that sound high?
JA: What is the model of your '75 GM?
Customer: 2012 acadia
JA: Are you fixing your Acadia yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am fixing it myself. I do have extended 100,000 mile warranty. Is this something that could be covered in that plan I bought.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I guess not
Category: GMC
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

First, I think you are on the right track having it scanned to see what is wrong; however, I don't think you need to pay $75 for it. Pretty much any auto parts store will pull trouble codes to see what system is triggering the fault codes. That being said, if it's already at a shop and it's not running well I would probably just pay the $75 diagnostic fee since that's really pretty reasonable. Most dealers charge $120.

These engines have a couple of common failures, the most common is timing chain issues. Other than the check engine light and increased exhaust does it seem to be running ok? Any unusual noises from the engine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
are you saying an Auto parts store like AutoZone or Napa could pull the trouble codes for me. I have not taken it to the mechanic shop yet.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm at work right now in a meeting and can't talk on the phone. How much is the normal expense to replace timing chain
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There are no other unusual sounds coming from the engine.
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Sorry, I forgot to warn you about the phone call pop-up thing. That's automated. Not me.

Yes, autozone can, not sure about Napa- they aren't as big in my part of the country. If the timing chain is the issue it would be making a rattle noise that is worse when the engine is cold. They almost always make noise when they stretch out. A timing chain replacement should be covered under the powertrain warranty, but if not it can be as much as $2500 to replace since the engine has to come out to work on it.

If it's just the check engine light then it could be any number of things.

Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Your best bet is to get it scanned by autozone and based on what code comes up we can go from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. Will do. ThanksDo not like hearing the expense thing. I would be better of replacing the car.
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

When my personal Acadia broke an exhaust valve I thought the exact same way. I replaced the car, not the $7000 engine.

Let me know what codes you find.

Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

*Please take time to rate my response- as an expert I don't work directly for Just Answer- any resources I provide to you are furnished at my own personal expense. I only receive compensation based on positive ratings from you. Therefore, I cannot offer my time, insights, advice, diagrams, etc, without that positive rating. If you are unable to positively rate my response please let me know. After rating I will still be available for follow-up questions at no additional charge.