GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

2003 gmc yukon xl 1500, 5.3 flex fuel. Randomly stalls out,

Customer Question
2003 gmc yukon xl 1500...
2003 gmc yukon xl 1500, 5.3 flex fuel. Randomly stalls out, but only when AC is running. After stalling out, car must sit and cool for about 10-15 minutes before engine can be restarted. Trying to start before this cool off period yields a very rough run and then the engine cuts out again. Actually replaced the throttle body with a new one about a week ago.
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: usually when driving, although I have seen it happen at a stop light. The engine just goes. There are NO codes.
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon XL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have cleaned the throttle body multiple times (as well as MAF sensor). Replaced the throttle body with new unit and used new gasket.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just try to not make me feel too stupid if it's something obvious. I have considered fuel pump and crankshaft position sensor, but failures with these devices should give me more consistent failures.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: GMC
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/26/2017
GMC Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

I think the fuel pump is your problem, this is one of the few things that would make vehicle not restart right away and also not turn on the check engine light. To verify this is the problem check fuel pressure key on engine off when vehicle will start and compare pressure to when it won't start. If pressure is lower during no start condition then replace the fuel pump. I do agree that a failing fuel pump would usually be more consistent but it still is what makes the most sense given the symptoms you are having. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Good to hear from you Dan. This thing is very, very frustrating. Evidently the 2003 GMC Yukons have this as a problem, but I really thought replacing the throttle body would fix it. Since the problem is intermittent, and no codes are thrown, it is very hard to predict. I can say with certainty that it only occurs when the AC is running.
I just upgraded my iPhone, and it's in the middle of doing a restore, so a phone call is out. Can you send me a list of things to check, and if that doesn't work we can arrange a phone call later tonight?

That at least makes sense. It is interesting that the condition only occurs if the AC is on. I was getting ready to check for a short that might be killing the pump temporarily as well.
I will get readings on fuel pressure when the vehicle is behaving normally, and will just have to wait for it to fail again to see if I have lower pressure. Just out of curiosity, why would a fuel pump revive like this after a cool down period? I was figuring the failure would worsen as time went on if it is the fuel pump, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

I agree the whole thing with AC on makes it a little strange, the only thing I could think is since vehicle is under more load with AC on it is making the fuel pump work harder which is pushing it over it's limit. But a fuel pressure test will be needed to know for sure. Let me know how it turns out or if you run into more questions, thanks.

GMC Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago

Ever get it figured out?

Dan, Technician