Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

AC slowly turns from cold to warm. Compressor stops running.

Customer Question

AC slowly turns from cold to warm. Compressor stops running. After a few hours or overnight, AC works fine again for about 20-30 minutes.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 9 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Auto or manual climate control?

Are you planning to address this yourself?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Has the option for either Auto or manual control. I am hoping to address the problem myself if possible. I have found online that if the ambient temperature sensor is faulty, it could cause intermittent issues with the A/C. The problem started when I hit a shopping cart doing about 15 miles per hour causing grill and front cowling damage. A bolt was broken and they drilled it out. After picking up the car I noticed the A/C change on my drive home. The issue occurred a few times last summer but after sitting overnight worked okay for several weeks before acting up again.
I recently had the services previously mentioned done but forgot to include that the sensor after the repair was put in the wrong place and the dealer moved it. Since then, the issue reoccurs regularly. After reading about the ambient temp sensor online I see that if the sensor is bad it can cause issues with A/C. The article also said to try using the manual settings instead of the Auto and see if this resolves the issue. If so replace the sensor. I am going to try this for a week or so and see if the issue occurs in manual mode, then switch back to Auto and try again.

Do you have access to a scan tool and or a AC gauge set so we can monitor the high and low side pressures?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No I don't.

Do you have any sort of tools for diagnosing purpose?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I'm sorry. I just realized I have a bank appointment in twenty minutes. Can I get back to you later?

Yes

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.

okay

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 8 days ago.

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris