Anthony Uzmack
Anthony Uzmack,
Experience:  Service Technician at Tom Henry Chevrolet
98670778

I have a 2002 GMC Yukon Denali. I need to replace the center

I have a 2002 GMC Yukon Denali. I need to replace the center Parking Brake Cable. I know I need to remove the rotors and back off on the parking brake adjusters. My question relates to replacing my parking brake pedal last year. I know that the pedal has a ratchet adjuster within it. Is there a way to gain (temporarily) more length on the front cable by releasing the ratchet on the pedal? It would make the install of the center cable a great deal easier. I know the new pedal I installed last year came with the ratchet disengaged and its internal spring compressed for ease of install, then pulling a removable pin the pedal had full normal action and operation.
JA: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?
Customer: My brakes HAVE been replaced and the Left and Right parking brake cables are in GREAT condition.
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon Denali yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am unlikely to attempt my install of the cable today as the outside temp in 90 and HIGH humidity. It will likely be Sunday or Monday.

What you can do is since those years are spring loaded you can lay under the vehicle, pull down on the front cable it will come out about an inch, clamp the cable where it comes through the guide in the front. This will give you slack to remove the rear cables without having to remove the rear wheels. From there you can then remove the intermediate cable from the retainer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will the ratchet mechanism within the pedal assembly be the restricting item preventing me from gaining any more than the 1" of slack? Or is the 1" the max that I could get? That may likely be enough. I haven't compared the cables yet but my GM Parts specialist I work with a lot indicated that the new cable is shorter as stated in a note on the part I have ordered to pick up.

its been awhile since I done one but it may even be longer than a inch of slack available. You can pop the cable off the mechanism if needed. it just sits in a pocket on the assembly.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I agree that it can be released from the pedal assembly once it 'has some slack'. But access to it under the dash in its location, is difficult and I will live with the recommendation to pull the cable down from the dash under the car, clamp it and attempt to do the cable change with that slack. If not, I will pull the rotors and back off on the parking brake adjustment. Thank you for your help.

You are very welcome

if you found this information helpful please click accept answer and provide a positive rating so that I can be credited for this question. Thank you very much.