GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

Battery goes dead overnight, BAttery is good. Alternator is

Battery goes dead overnight JA: Did...
Battery goes dead overnight
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: BAttery is good. Alternator is good. I have pulled every fuse and can't find a circuit that is causing the draw.
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: 2003 Yukon XL Denali
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon XL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried it myself and then took it to a shop. We can't find the sourse of the draw.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
The draw is around 11.6 amps with key and everything off
This all started after I left the key on with the engine off until the battery went dead
Before that there were no issues
6/13/2017
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

battery is confirmed good cold cranking amps ?

I went to Advance and they checked it

when the draw is that high removing any of the fuses in the under hood fuse box it doesn't drop at all ?

My concern is the amount of the draw 11.6 - 12 amps. That seems very high for a paricidic draw

it is the spec is no more than 50 MA

the big 3 are the gauge cluster or the radio or the BCM

if you unplug all 3 what will it read ?

Since I have pulled every fuse and the drain didn't go away does the BCM work off a fused circuit? The Radio and Cluster both do.

unplug one at a time and see which one you unplug makes it drop down

then which ever does is the bad part

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Would any of the three you listed cause a draw of 12 amps?
Pulling the fuse is the same as unplugging each. So none of the 3 are the problem.

any of the 3 will

i prefer to unplug one at a time and see which one drops it down

most of those devices are multiple fuse powered

Great! I will check that tomorrow.

sounds good

One more thing....when I reconnect the battery the rear wiper wipes one time and then nests. With the key off and even when the switch is unpluged. Could it be that?

that could be signs of the BCM being the issue

stick with the big 3 and lets see what it does

Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
the service air bag signal could also be the BCM?

small chance

i would fix the draw first

then pull the airbag code

I pulled the cluster, radio and BCM. And the CD changer.With everything disconnected there is still a 12.74V draw on the battery.
Also, we disconnected the alternator and still the 12.74V draw.The starter is new-ish, but could it be that?
Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician