GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

Can a 9 month old AC Delco battery be bad even though the…

Can a 9 month old...
Can a 9 month old AC Delco battery be bad even though the green dot is showing?Ammeter shows charging and it runs fine after a jump start plus a long drive to charge it up. A few days later it will need another jump start.Alternator is about a year old AC Delco.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/27/2017
Michael Dobrash

H​ello,

It sounds more like you may want to test your vehicle for something that is draining down the battery while it is sitting not being used. that is allot more common then the battery being at fault.

Do you happen to own a electrical multi meter?

If you would like I can walk you through a fairly easy test that will help you determine if you have a continuous drain on your battery

Dose your multimeeter have a Amp setting? and are you at all familiar with it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
https://www.amazon.com/Multimeter-Crenova-MS8233D-Auto-Ranging-Multimeters/dp/B00KXX2OYY

Perfect!

what you will need to do is make sure everything is turned off in the vehicle keys out of the ignition all doors closed. You will need to set your meter to the farthest right setting the 'A' setting and make sure your leads are plugged into the COM and 10A ports on the meter. after that with the vehicle battery charged you will disconnect the negative cable. and connect one lead of your meter to the negative post of the battery and the other lead to the negative battery cable that you just disconnected. this part is a little tricky because if you wait much mort then 5 seconds from the time that you disconnect the battery to the time you get the meter hooked up you run the risk of popping the 10a fuse in your meter. so my advice is to get everything together and make disconnecting the battery the last step.

once you have your meter hooked up in between the negative battery post and the negative cable you will should see a reading. now you need to let everything stay connected for 30 minutes to make sure all the computers power down properly. after 30 minutes read your meter and look for no more then 0.050 anything over 0.090 and you have a drain in the system and not a problem with the battery it self. also don't forget to disable any underhood lights it is important that nothing be on in the car as is will affect the test

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will be away from home for the next 2 weeks so I will try this after I return. Can I rate you now? Thanks for your help.

Y​es of course and I will leave this open so if you come back later and want to talk more I will be around. Good luck and have a great day!

Michael Dobrash