GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

Had to change the alternator due to overcharging. it also…

Had to change the...

Had to change the alternator due to overcharging. it also burned up the battery. after replacing both the battery and alternator. once i connected the battery hot wire the car started without the key in the ingnition. the only way to turn it off was to pull the fuse. i dont know what else to do

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your GMC?

2003 Yukon Denali with the biggest engine i think6.1

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Yukon Denali yourself? What have you tried so far?

It was over charging 19 fomt the gauge on the dash board . i had a 1 year old battery. it would start with a jump but would not sttart after turning the car off. I was assisting a mechanic.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The air compressor stop working. pulled the fuse and jumped to check the compressor and it worked for the ride contro air shocks. put a new fuse for the compressor but that all

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/7/2017
Amedee
Amedee, GMC Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you anyway I can.

You would like help with this "engine starting by itself" issue correct?

Can I start by getting your VIN or engine size?

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1gkek63u83j289455
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
6.1 v-8

Thank you.

one minute..

Have you tried to remove the starter relay? If so, does it continue to crank over when the battery is connected? If not, the starter relay might just be faulty.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

If the problem remains after disconnecting the starter relay, then check the wiring down at the starter to see if it my be touching or melted together and fix as needed.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks, ***** ***** try that. what would cause the air pump to stop working. the compressor works if i jump it at the fuse but not with a new fuse installed

Air pump? You mean blower motor or emissions air pump?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no the air compressor for the air shocks

That would mean the fuse does not have power going to it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
would the over charging alternator have anything to do with it. the air shocks are new(6 months old)

It is possible, but it is hard to say without looking it it myself. The problem needs to be diagnosed. There are however, 4 fuses that need to be checked related to the air suspension

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
by the way the parts store checked out the alternator and said it was overcharging

Gotcha!

Here are the fuses that need to be checked.

The RTD 30 amp fuse under the hood.

The 10 amp cruise fuse inside the vehicle

The IGN 3 10 amp fuse inside the vehicle

The Stud 1 40 amp fuse under the hood.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks you have been a great help
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
stop me from pulling my hair out

Your welcome!!

I am glad I can help!

Amedee
Amedee, GMC Technician