Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

My 2012 1500 4x4 keeps changing to 2wd when I am plowing. If

Customer Question

My 2012 1500 4x4 keeps changing to 2wd when I am plowing. If I turn off ignition and back on it will reengage and work for 3 to 15 min. The selector switch on the dash is not responsive.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Steering is fine so is key.
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: What Mini?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: To make sure we are on the same page the problem is 4x4 engaging on 2012 1500 GMC
Category: GMC
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

there are a few things that can cause this. any time the transfer case kicks itself back to 2wd there will be a fault code stored, do you have access to a scanner that can read the truck? the scanner will need to be a laptop style as the handhelds can usually only read the engine module emissions codes. are you going to fix yourself or have the dealer or shop do it?