Chris (aka-Moose), GMC Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 2007 gmc is making a ticking/knocking sound like it's

Customer Question

My 2007 gmc is making a ticking/knocking sound like it's passing gas when I press the accelerator. And when I'm driving sometimes it feels like it's not taking off like it should like not enough oil or engine pressure is happening
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: The engine this noise happened today when it was cold but not doing it now p
JA: What is the model of your '07 GMC?
Customer: Toulon slt Yukon
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Sometimes I do before when a check engine light would come on I was to it was the ignition coils so I changed those My transmission was rebuilt back in November I keep the oil changes up to date
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sometimes when I'm sitting idle it is shakes like I can feel a spudder in the engine
Category: GMC
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 8 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Does it seem like it is not running on all cylinders?

What liter engine?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's a 6.5. It does but then GIn it doesn't. Sometimes when I take off it feels like it is struggglinf to take off

Did you mean 5.3, 6.5 is not an option in the 07 GMC yukon SLT

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
sorry lol

I suspect this is going to be a valve lifter noise your experiencing. This engine will shut down cylinders under low power command and idle to reduce fuel usage. If the engine is not running optimum during this when in 4 cylinder mode it can actually run bad like what you're experiencing. I recommend using a stethoscope to listen to the valve covers to see if the source of the noise is coming from there.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris