Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

04 Yukon Denali XL. Parking brake will not release. I can

Customer Question

04 Yukon Denali XL. Parking brake will not release. I can push the pedal to the floor and feel resistance as I do so. I can pull the release lever and the e-brake pedal pops right back up being released just fine. The brake is still engaged.
JA: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?
Customer: Brakes have been replaced in the past, and the brakes were working fine. There is no brake fluid associated with the e-brake.
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon Denali yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Engage/released several times, powered forward and back several times.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That sums it up.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

The E brake cables could be frayed or frozen up or rusted, Here is something you can try, with the vehicle in Park, pull the emergency brake handle, to where it SHOULD be released, and maybe even put something under the handle holding it in the RELEASED position . Then at the back where the emergency brake cable goes into the backing plates at the wheels, grab that Emergency brake cable sheath and pull it and bend it slightly opposite the direction it is bent in, my thoughts are it's rusted or frozen in place. You may want to trace the cable from the backing plates and bend and move it towards the interior. If you see a spot the cable comes out of the sheath at, and if you can, grab it with some needle nose pliers and try to force it back towards the backing plates and loosen it as it pulls towards the interior and releases tension back towards the backing plates. See if that helps. also, anywhere you see the cable going into the sheath at, spray some PB blaster or WD 40 into the sheath of the cable.

Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

Hello, Did you have any luck with that? Was this something you were going to try and fix yourself? or did you want possible causes and solutions and estimates of what it might take to fix it? thank you.