Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

Truck not starting

Customer Question

Truck not starting
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what has been checked,tested or repaired to try and resolve this fault here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Starter is clicking when key is turned I checked all wires and battery's as well as bolts to starter mounts all good. It will only attempt to crank slowly when jumping starter. Pulled starter and turned key it actuated as normal. When jumping starter power steering line smokes and is very hot. I am leating to system being jammed or pump seizing up engine?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Have you removed the drive belt at all to see if the engine then turns over?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I havent
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Engine will give 1/2 turn when starter is bypassed but slow
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Try removing the drive belt and see if the engine then turns with the starter installed and starts.If it does then one of the components the drive belt was rotating is seized and it may be the power steering pump needing replaced.If the engine still does not turn over properly then this indicates an internal mechanical fault.This can be seized bearings or bearing drag on the crank shaft as this can occur with the engine needing rebuilt or replaced.It may also be a hydro lock issue with coolant in the cylinders or excess fuel from faulty injectors needing replaced.

I would start with removing the drive belt and see if this then allows the engine to crank and start then check the pulleys from there to locate the fault.But if this doesnt work then this is internal and the engine will need checked internally.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Would the power steering line smoking when forcing it to crank indicate that it is the problem?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

The line smoking can indicate pressure build up if this was a hydraulic line which can indicate a power steering pump fault or another issue like a power steering gear fault.I havent seen a line smoke like that before myself,make sure no wires are melted to the line causing this issue here.But this is leaning more towards a pump fault issue here possibly.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is a hydrolic line it is the in line that connects to the steering linkage
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,it is possible the pump is at fault causing this here.I would try removing the pump drive belt and see if it starts.If it does then the pump most likely needs replaced.The steering gear will need checked as well for any issues.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Am I still able to remove the belt since the whole truck is run off of one belt
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

You can remove the belt briefly to see if it starts and runs.If it starts up then turn it off right away and check for any seized components needing replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will check it out
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Sounds good.

Thanks Pete