GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

I have a 2008 gmc 1500 engine vin 0... i am having an issue

Customer Question
hello, i have a 2008...
hello, i have a 2008 gmc 1500 engine vin 0... i am having an issue getting the monitors ready for inspection. i need evap and catalyst to become ready. i've done the exact drive cycle, but when i live streamed evap system test it came up ambient temperature out of range. side note it is 20 degrees f outside. so what do i do ... i need an inspection
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: GMC
12/30/2016
GMC Mechanic: Pete, GMC Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Pete, GMC Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Usually the ambient temp wont keep the evap system from operating.It may be to cold where you are at so no pressure build up in the fuel tank keeping it from running.Unfortunately in this case the vehicle has to be ran in an open garage where there is heat or trick the ambient temp sensor in front of the radiator to think it is warm with a small heater or similar carefully.Here is the procedure I run to get the testing to run and pass.

Cold Start
The barometric pressure (BARO) is more than 81 kPa.
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between (41-86°F).
The intake air temperature (IAT) is between (41-86°F).
The start-up ECT and IAT are within (16°F) of each other.
The battery voltage is between 9-16 volts.
The fuel level is between 15-85 percent.

Important: Whenever the ignition is turned ON, ignition positive voltage is supplied to the HO2S heaters. After verifying the enable criteria, turn OFF the ignition for approximately 5 minutes to allow the sensors to cool before continuing with the test. Once the engine is started, DO NOT turn the engine OFF for the remaining portion of the set procedure.

Turn OFF all of the accessories,
Set the vehicle parking brake.
Verify the transmission is in Park for automatic transmissions and Neutral for manual transmissions.
Start the engine and allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes.

Acceleration at part throttle to (55 mph) with this speed maintained until the engine reaches operating temperature. This may be up to 8 minutes depending on the start up coolant temperature.
Continued operation under these conditions for an additional 6 minutes.

Acceleration at part throttle to (45-55 mph) with this speed maintained for 2 minutes.
Deceleration to (0 mph).
Engine idling for 2 minutes while the following criteria is maintained:
The service brake is depressed.
The automatic transmission is in drive.
The manual transmission is in neutral with the clutch pedal depressed

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, GMC Mechanic