Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

2008 gmc acadia with the dreaded sunroof leak, just bought

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. 2008 gmc acadia with the dreaded sunroof leak
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: just bought the car last week. I removed carpet as much as i could vaccumed it all up. then Removed a pillar and front portion of headliner (up to dvd player.)
JA: Are you fixing your Acadia yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: then i took the drain plugs and poured water down seemed to drain fine. drilled out the cross hatches with a drill bit. yes maam
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Basically i want to drop the headliner (need instruction or haynes manual like instructions)
Category: GMC
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'll post the info below on dropping the headliner. If I can help further just reply back.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Should I replace the sunroof seal? (@$90); should I RTV the ditch molding area? (@$8); How do i drop the headliner in 2008 gmc acadia. I need better instructions then the ones that can be found on the internet which say "drop roof console assembly, drop lock pillar upper trim panel, etc.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
K Wiggins that doesnt help me. Those labeled terms mean nothing. need something more specific. I found the same instructions already online. As for fixing the leak, what have consumers remarked as a success.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
For example what the heck is "remove the body lock upper trim panel" where is that, how big, clips? screws? bolts? compression fittings?....... the WORST descriptors and I'm a doctor and I see plenty of horrible explanations.
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

New expert here. I can send more descriptive info on this headliner to your email. I have access to the factory service manual.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dan, I just paid $5 for what?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dan and K. Wiggins, I can get a year access to alldata for my car for $15. I refuse to see what knowledge I gained from spending $5?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OR that you want me to spend $10 more dollars