GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

Starts for 5 seconds then shuts off. Could it be the Cam

Customer Question
shaft sensor ? JA: Which particular...
Starts for 5 seconds then shuts off. Could it be the Cam shaft sensor ?
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: Yes the cose says it is the Camshaft sensor
JA: What is the model/year of your GMC?
Customer: Suburban 1500,
JA: What year is your Suburban 1500?
Customer: 1996
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: fixing myself. did tune up, replaced fuel filter. When cold it stars momentarily then shuts off. Hard to keep running. When it warms up it is fine all day
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GMC
10/25/2016
GMC Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

The problem can be a loss of spark or fuel. You can check for
spark at the plugs with a spark tester.
You can check fuel pressure with a gauge and both of these tools
should be available to you at your
local parts store for rent or purchase.
You need to check for any stored codes in the computer with a
code reader or a scan tool.
The code reader only gives the codes and definitions, where the
scan tool gives you all
the needed data to diagnose the codes.

Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did the suggested. Where is the Cam Shaft Sensor located on my Vehicle? I know where the Crank
Sensor is ?

It's not a cam sensor issue. What is the pressure reading you got on your gauge?

Our goal here is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. We may not always
have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but our job is to get you on
the right track, which we always do. We can’t hear, see, smell or
touch your vehicle from where we’re at, so your understanding of
that is greatly appreciated. There are no magical or miraculous
answers, but we do our best to guide you in the right direction.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly appreciate a 5
star rating now and I will still assist you after you have rated me
too if another question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you
until you rate me.
Thanks again, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The pressure is 58-60 lbs. Then drops to 4 lbs.shuts truck off. Then to 58 while running

Not good, it needs to be consistent. Pump is bad.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me now.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor