GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

My 2008 yukon SLT has an intermittent vibration during idle

Customer Question
and sometimes during braking but...
My 2008 yukon SLT has an intermittent vibration during idle and sometimes during braking but only at slow speeds. I've recently had the front rotors replaced and checked however that did not solve my issue.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GMC
10/21/2016
GMC Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago
Ivan Alvarez

Sounds like you might have two separate issues. Where do you feel the vibration at idle?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can feel it through the brake pedal, you can sort of hear it as well.
GMC Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago

Does it sound like a humming noise? Do you have any warning light that come on along with vibration?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
maybe a little bit of a hum. no warning lights or check engine. I have a bully dog and the last time I had a check engine light it said no dtc.
GMC Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok lets start by trying to eliminate the abs system. In the fuse box under the hood pull the fuses that are listed as abs. Then see if your vibration at brake pedal is gone.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm at work and will do this as I'm leaving and respond. Sorry for the delay.
GMC Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago

No problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i was looking in the fuse box under the hood and according to the manual it's fuse 2, there is no fuse 2. maybe i'm confused
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it looks like the fuse has already been pulled
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its actually 9
GMC Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago

Yes it will be fuse #9 and fuse #61. Both are for the abs. Doing this might make your abs light turn on but your brakes will still work except the abs.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok so I pulled both and my antilock brake light is on but so is my regular brake light
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the traction control light
GMC Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago

those will go off once you put the fuses back in. Did the vibration go away at the brake pedal?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no it didn't
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've put the fuses back in
GMC Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok after installing the fuses turn the vehicle on then off. then on again and the brake lights should be off.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They're off
GMC Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago

Know that we ruled out the abs system lets check some things on the steering system. Check the fluid level of the power steering fluid. this reservoir will be on the drivers side usually close to the power steering pump.

GMC Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago

This systems brake system has a hydro boost for the brakes. The power steering pump supplies pressure to the hydro boost for your brakes so if the pump is failing it would make sense to feel a pulsation at the brake pedal.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the engine is hot, the level is up to the bottom 3rd I'd guess, where it says add. according to the manual you're supposed to let it cook but the dipstick says hot level or something similar at the top. does this mean if it's hot it should be all the way to the top of the dipstick?
GMC Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago

It should be up to the top line with the engine off. This level doesn't really change much with engine hot or cold.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I should add some power steering fluid to it and see what that does
GMC Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago

Once you top off the fluid level check to see if the pulsation is still there.

GMC Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago

If the pulsation is still there then I would recommend that you replace the power steering pump.

GMC Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago

Turn the vehicle on then put your foot on the brake and start to turn the steering wheel. If the pulsation gets worse while you turn the steering wheel then that's another sign you have a weak power steering pump.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
does it matter what brand of fluid I use
GMC Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago

No.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
topped it off, the vibration does not get worse when I turn the wheel left or right with the brake on. I just left my house and when I started the truck I noticed that I could feel the hesitation in the seat
GMC Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 1 year ago

It still seems like a power steering pump issue. By what you described at low speed driving also points to the pump. At higher speeds it would not be noticeable because there is not much load on the pump.

Ivan Alvarez
Ivan Alvarez
Ivan Alvarez