GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I have a 2002 GMC envoy that overheats if sitting in traffic…

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 GMC envoy that overheats if sitting in traffic or in park. I have replaced the fan clutch. That worked for about a week but I rarely drove it for very long. First time I drive it over 40 miles from home it does it

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?

It's a brand new fan clutch

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Envoy yourself? What have you tried so far?

A mechanic where I bought it fixed it the first time with my husbands help

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It's got about 169,000 miles

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GMC
9/22/2016
GMC Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 1 year ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is usually caused by an externally blocked radiator, dirt and debris collect between the radiator and the A/C condensor and restrict the flow of air through it, this is more prevelant when idling, have you removed the radiator and seen if there is alot of debris in it? It is not visible with the radiator installed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't moved it. I don't even know how. We just recently bought this envoy like a idiot
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How easy can this be fixed or better yet how costly is this?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also how safe is it to drive if I aren't letting it idle

if you dont let it idle d , it will be fine, the cost to remove the radiaor and blow it out is about 80 dollars, but dont let it overheat,Tim

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok what about in traffic cause sitting even without ac on the temp start to raise to about 230. It's usually under 210 or about. Is it supposed to go up at all while sitting still and to what temp

driving in traffic will make it overheat, so it is not a good idea, this needs to be fixed before you should do any intown driving,Tim