Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

2000 GMC safari, the the back door handle is completely

Customer Question

2000 GMC safari, the the back door handle is completely loose. ow can I open the door?
JA: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing. I was just checking online wha can I do?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Category: GMC
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 year ago.

The back doors are not that bad to get access to. If you pull the plastic panel off of the passenger rear door you can get access to the inside latch. Some doors have a metal plate that you have to remove but it is just bolted in. Do you have the dual door with lifting back glass or just the two doors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the two doors
The panels are covered by fabric. Are they glued?
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 year ago.

The fabric is glued on, but you do not have to remove the fabric. You will have to run your finger over he fabric to find the screws if they are not visible.

Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 year ago.

I take it that your van is a custom?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. When I said fabric I meant the normal upholstery that came with the van. The thing is that the handle of the door is completely loose and although I unlock the door, since the handle is loose I cannot open the door.
Just one question... are you charging my card in every question? Does the $26 already paid cover all this chat?
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 year ago.

Yes what you paid is all you pay till we have this problem solved.

Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 year ago.

Can you send me a pic of the inside of the back doors so I can see what you have please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 year ago.

Can you get a better pic of the passenger rear door so I can see the whole door panel? The carpet at the bottom does not have to be removed to get the panel off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Picture attached
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 year ago.

Do you see the screws on the right hand side of the door panel? Those are the screws that hold the panel on the door. You may have a couple of screws in the carpeted section, you will just have to run your fingers slowly over the edges and fell for a hole or screw head.

Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 year ago.

I can not see the top of the door panel to tell you where the screws are for the top, but they should be visible. There will be some push pin clips that will hold the panel on, so just taking the screws out will not take the panel off, but they should pull out fairly easy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about those at the bottom?
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 year ago.

Yes those have to come out as well.

Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 year ago.

You may have to unscrew the plastic door sill plate in front of the door panel to get to the lower screws.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no screws at the top, but I'll run my fingers. Another question. Any suggestion for what I am going t o find inside?
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 year ago.

The top will have the push pins that hold it up, so it should just pull downward to come loose. Once you have the plastic door panel off there should be a metal plate in the center of the door that will have 6-8 screws holding it on, take those out and you will be able to get access to the latch and door handle. Send me a pic of the inside of the door and I will tell you how to open the door and replace the handle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The right side screws are inaccessible with the door closed. Any idea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible to open the door?
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 year ago.

You have to pull the other door panel off to get to them.

Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 year ago.

You have to get the door panel off to be able to open the door.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is hard to see that in the picture but the angle in which I have to put the screwdriver does not let me unscrew
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 year ago.

If you remove the other door panel you can get to the screws on the side

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I do not understand. What do you mean with the other door panel?
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 year ago.

the drivers side rear door panel will have to come off to get the passenger side door panel off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But it will be the same... if I cannot access the screws because the door is locked
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 year ago.

You are saying that there are screws in between the two doors that you can not get to to remove the passenger side panel correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screws that you see in the left side of the picture are unreachable. And there are a couple more that you cannot see in the picture and those are even worse. Without opening the door it is impossible to reach them. Is it possible to access it through the license plate holder?
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 year ago.

NO, that is just a plastic insert, and removing it will not give you acces to the inside of the door. The plastic trim on the left side of the door should have some give to it so you can push it over to get to the screws. As for the screws on the right side you will have to remove the other door panel to get to them. It is not going to be easy, but it can be done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The plastic trim on the left side is actually what is holding the panel, along with the screws in the other side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there another way to open the doors? If I could only open the doors one time I would be able to unscrew the screws
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry there is no way to get to the latch with out pulling the panels off.