GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

The automatic liftgate opens about a quarter then closes

Customer Question
The automatic liftgate opens about...
The automatic liftgate opens about a quarter then closes right back up. It will not open fully. I can turn of the auto open ànd open it manually but have to hold it open
JA: What is the model/year of your GMC?
Customer: 2007 Yukon Denali XL
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing but see if anything was catching on the gate to make it close back up. Nothing I can see is preventing it from opening. Yes I would like to if it's not too involved. I am handy but not so sure about these new electronics on vehicles. I guess u could say that I'm "old school"
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not really, I mean if I can open it manually without obstruction or having to force it up, There must be some minor adjustment to fix it. It just all of a sudden started. No wreck, no tweak of the tailgate, no one trying to ride it up, nothing that I can put my finger on. It's been perfect every time.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yep. There are no other issues.. The seats, sun roof, auto rear seat fold up, mirrors...everything
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GMC
8/13/2016
GMC Mechanic: FIX IT MAN, Master Technician replied 1 year ago
FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** is common for this to happen on the Yukon. Most of the time this is caused by the electronic lift motor assembly. Most of the time the motor itself can no longer move the door correctly and the module turns it off due to the amperage draw. It can also be caused by one of the contact sensors. Most of the time the computer needs to be scanned to see if the computer has set any body codes for the door. This would steer you in the right direction. If you do not have this ability most of the time the motor assembly is changed to fix this. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

FIX  IT MAN
FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician