Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

2010 Denali lift gate will only open 18 inches or so and

Customer Question

2010 Denali lift gate will only open 18 inches or so and then closes.
JA: What is the model of your '10 GM?
Customer: Yukon Denali short wheel base
JA: Besides this, what condition is the car in?
Customer: Excellent
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will only try to fix it myself if it is extremely easy. Other than attempting to open it throughout the day, I have done nothing. The problem only appeared for the first I me this morning .
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope, thanks
Category: GMC
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Disconnect both battery cables from the battery. Hold the positive and negative cables together for a few minutes. Then reconnect. That should reset the gate. You may have a sensor problem and would need a GM scan tool to view codes and data in the liftgate control module.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks,

ASE Master Technician

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. I shall do what you suggest. Is there any risk to the electronics in the vehicle in doing the fix you recommend?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I completed the disconnect-reconnect of the battery and the lift gate still malfunctions. Is there any other way to approach this short of going to a dealer? If professional assistance is the only option, I am in Chicago andI if you are able to recommend a dealer or mechanic on the North side near Wrigley Field, it will be helpful. Thank you.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You will need to go to the dealer to get it scanned for codes. This is the only way to see what is wrong. I am not from that area of the country so I am unsure of any dealers in that area, but any GM dealer should be fine.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks