Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

Envoy died while driving - lost power - dash lights were

Customer Question

Envoy died while driving - lost power - dash lights were flashing. Stopped - no crank start in neutral. Put it in park, and theft lock light lights up - no crank start. Cannot shift either
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: first time this happened today..haven't got it started yet
JA: Welcome! What's going on with your GM?
Customer: Envoy died while driving - lost power - dash lights were flashing. Stopped - no crank start in neutral. Put it in park, and theft lock light lights up - no crank start. Cannot shift either
JA: What year is your Envoy?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried the process to reset the anti-theft / passlock - whatever you call it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: where I leave key on for 10 minutes, shut off for 30 seconds, back to on for 10, etc repeat 4 times
Category: GMC
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** sounds like a bad alternator, have you tried charging the battery or jump starting it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) there is no crank 2) trans locked in park 3) padlock icon on dash comes on and flashes
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Yes, this will happen when the alternator is not charging and the voltage hgets low, have you tried jumping it or charging the battery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no - voltage was registering ok before it died while driving..will try to jump - but have had dead batteries with truck before and didnt cause passlock or tranny lock
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

These will, let me know if it cranks when jumping it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Updating this for the record. The issue was the ignition switch module. About 1/2 hour further research on the Passlock error and confirmed that was the cause. $40 part and a few minutes of time.