Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. former shop owner/ manager
2947720

I have a 2001 gmc savanna 3500. My oil pressure gauge reads

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: I have a 2001 gmc savanna 3500. My oil pressure gauge reads between 0 and 20. I hear no tapping or clicking. I already replaced the oil pressure sending unit.
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: YouI have a 2001 gmc savanna 3500. My oil pressure gauge reads between 0 and 20. I hear no tapping or clicking. I already replaced the oil pressure sending unit.
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: I sent it twice
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: 150000 no codes. I get check gauges when I'm at idle
JA: What is the model of your '148000 GMC?
Customer: Savannah 3500
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I already replaced oil pressure sending unit
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: Yes. I already replaced oil pressure sending unit
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I've driven about 500 miles so 've it's been doing this and noticed no sound from Engine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GMC Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

Which engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the 5.7 v8
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I see, thanks. That could be in the instrument panel itself. However, the tests would have to be done on it to be sure.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the test instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it.

I do not have access to your email address,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I want to hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge and make sure. I was leaning toward the gauge as well. I just wanted to make sure it can't be something else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need an ohm meter In order to test that because I do not own one
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

That would help to determine if the circuits are shorted but mainly jumping the wire with a fused jumper to see how the gauge reacts.

Let me post a test here on it. You can copy and paste the following link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/getrj4ocanef65e/OP%20gauge%20test.gif?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm going to test pressure with gauge and go from there
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thank you and please come again, anytime.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Jerry so I ran some tests and my oil pressure is indeed at 20psi. I removed oil filter and cut open. I found a pretty slushy filter. My next step is the oil pump. The screen on the pump may be clogged. Any suggestions on how to unclog without removing oil pump?? Im probably going to have to drop pan and look inside.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Once the pan is off the pump is fairly easy to take off. That way you can clean the screen with a wire brush, you have to make sure that you clean it all out and no wires come loose and get stuck in there. We always put a new pump in when they are out if the miles are over 30K. The pumps are fairly inexpensive and worth the peace of mind.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great. Also one other thing. The engine temperature never goes above half way. If my oil pressure was dangerously low wouldn't my engine heat up??
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Not always, I have seen some with almost zero oil pressure running at normal operating temperature. Chevy engines seem to be well made, in my opinion. The sump screens do seem to cake up a little on them though. Any rebuilds that I do always get a new oil pump and a new sump. The sump with screen is fairly inexpensive as well. Thanks