GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

Steering shutter and grinds on 2015 terrain with 20000 mi

Customer Question
steering shutter and grinds...
steering shutter and grinds on 2015 terrain with 20000 mi dealer and gmc they cant repair promlem
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GMC
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
replaced power steering hose and alternator. problem came back in two days they told me gmc had a bulletin on this problem. now they tell me theres nothing they can do and I ave to live with it. steering wheel grinding, making noises? I am worried about safety with my young kids. doesn't make any sense
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
please call me on cell phone asap as dealer wants me to return loaner vehicle today. I brought my vehicle to them on Monday and was called yesterday to return vehicle and pick my vehicle up very peculiar that they put a hose and the alternator the first time I brought it and now,as I said problem came back and im being told nothing can be done?????
6/18/2016
GMC Mechanic: Pete, GMC Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Pete, GMC Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If you havent yet check with another local GM or Chevy dealer to see if the can diagnose and pinpoint the cause.In some cases some dealer technicians may be at a loss on what to repair and having another set of technicians look into the issue can help.Also ask if they called their tech support as they usually have repair info on hard issues like this here.

If this is not an option let me know but a dealer should be able to diagnose and repair this under warranty at no charge to you.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could you please call me I think we need to speak to each other as ur reply unfortunately was not helpful

Unfortunately I am unable to place a call myself on this here.If you would like I can opt out of your question for others here to see if anyone else can call on this or we can continue here instead if you like just let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are u familiar with the bulletin gmc put out specifically for my problem as dealer told me ?

I dont see this bulletin myself.It may have been a mistake when they said there was a bulletin as there may not be one here on this model for the steering issue.The only one I see if for info on how to flush the system but it's a general bulletin overall that doesnt speak of this issue here.

When you say the steering shutters does it feel like it grabs and releases and does the steering whine at all or feel rough when turning like a growl type noise?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It grinds when you turn the wheel I guess you could say hard left or right when pulling out and hard turns
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry I didn't read ur response properly yes the question u asked at end of ur msg

O.k.,this sounds like the common fault of the transfer case.The transfer case on hard turns which is called a "crow hop" feel will cause this issue.In allot of cases just having the fluid replaced in it will free up and remove debris from it and correct this here but in some cases the entire transfer case needs replaced.I would see if they checking into this here at all or if they will for you and also if they will contact their Tech support as their Tech support will usually give them a repair method for this.Their tech support usually wants to keep the customers happy so they will usually have a repair procedure they want them to follow on this here.

But I suspect transfer case flush or in some cases replacement but this should all be done under warranty for you.

If this dealer will not do any more work on this then you would want to take it to another GM or Chevy dealer as their technicians may be willing to look into and repair this.I have had to do this myself as well as seen it done when one dealer will not help.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for trying but I'm heading to dealer I'll take a different approach take care

Your welcome.There isnt much I can do from here except suggest the issue and what needs done.In some cases you can contact GM customer support and they can push along the diagnosis and repair to help get this repaired.Here is a link to their contact info.They are usually really good about getting issues like this handled.They will call the dealer and rep for the area to get this taken care of.

https://www.gm.com/site-help/contact-us/email-us.html

Thanks Pete

Pete, GMC Mechanic