Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GMC N.A.I.S.E. Certified Auto-Mechanic
20625509

I have replaced every electrical component on my 1992 gmc

Customer Question

i have replaced every electrical component on my 1992 gmc pickup to stop shuddering when i drive up a steep hill. ihave paid for some and performed some of the replacements after receiving good advice. the 5.7 runs perfectly but today i had to drive up a fairly steep highway about 60 mph and i topped the hill at 30 mph violently shuddering to the top and then it smoothed out
Category: GMC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i also installed a new fuel pump, new fuel injectors, new fuel regulator, new muffler ,new tires, new timming gear, new timming chain, hi temperature liquid sensor, map sensor, new fuel filter
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I wonder if this has a lock-up torque convertor and that is giving you a problem.

Is this an automatic transmission?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, is this the C1500 2WD or K1500 4WD?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
k1500 4wd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mileage is 445,000 mi
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

yeah, I see in 3rd-D4 the torque convertor clutch is applied.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I am reading that the torque convertor should be locked up in 3rd or 4th gear when the speed is above 24 mph and several other things, but first to determine if it is even the torque convertor lockup that is even causing the problem. I suppose the easiest way to check is to just disconnect the TCC for now. Test drive it and see if it still shudders.

Let me see if I can find a fuse to pull or something, give me a minute or two.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the gage fuse, remove it and see if it still shudders, if not, then we can start diagnosing that tcc circuit, cause I just read the "4th gear signal to ECM. This signal will not prevent TCC engagement, but could cause a change in engage/disengage speed points."

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you mike . tomorrow i will try your suggestions.is there a way i can print these statementsterry
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

You should be able to. If you are on a windows pc, wait I'll just send you a *.doc which opens with Microsoft word,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Have you had a chance to check that yet?