Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years in the Automotive repair business.
7276279

I have a 05 GMC duramax lly that doesn't crank, tach doesn't

Customer Question

I have a 05 GMC duramax lly that doesn't crank, tach doesn't work, doesn't blow cold air, cruise and tow haul will not light up on dash but do work and the turn signals do not work. I jumped a wire from crank fuse to starter solenoid to get it to start and it does start with the key then but otherwise nothing works yet, any ideas? Thanks
Category: GMC
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

GM has released a service bulletin dealing with the type of no crank problem you are having that may be related to the issues you are having. I have enclosed it in the link below for your review. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/No%20crank%20Jun%2010.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure it's a battery/generator problem since it does run and charge fine when I jump the wire from the crank fuse to the starter solenoid. I'm wondering if this problem could be a grounding issue or something else that would relate all of the same problems at once
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If you connect your scanner to the system and read your data stream are you able to see the crank request?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a scanner like that
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well unfortunately in order to be able to do the diagnostics properly you are going to need to find someone who has this and can help you do the testing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But if it still starts with the key when I run power from the fuse to the relay wouldn't that mean the crank request is there?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Which wire and fuse are you running power to at the relay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Crank fuse to the starter relay
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

There are two fuse that power the starter relay one is the IGN fuse E located in the under hood fuse panel and the other one is the IGN fuse A also located in the under hood fuse panel. Are you sure one of them is not blown. See the wiring diagram in the link below for reference. Let me know which fuse your using to power the start relay. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Start%20Jun%2013.pdf