Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

I have a 6 month old battery in my 2005 GMC ENVOY. The truck

Customer Question

I have a 6 month old battery in my 2005 GMC ENVOY. The truck won't start in fact no lights in the car are turning on there's not ringing from the car to let me know the key is in the ignition the key is also stuck. My battery charger tells me the battery is full.
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I am hoping to fix it myself. My car is stuck in my garage.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the GMC Mechanic should know about your GMC?
Customer: About a week before the truck died the a/c and heat blowers on the top. NOT for the feet stopped blowing.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GMC Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. The battery charger can tell you the battery is charged but at the same time the battery may have the proper voltage but may have failed sending out any amperage in some cases.I would (if you can) remove the battery and have a local parts store test it.They will do this at no charge to you.If found faulty it will need replaced.Make sure the battery cables are clean and tight as well as this will cause a fault like this here as well.If these are all found to be o.k. the second biggest issue on this model was the electronic ignition switch failing.This was a very common fault on these needing replaced.The switch itself is usually around $20 and can be purchased at a local parts store.The column covers are removed behind the steering wheel and a small pick used in the slots to release the switch to remove it,then line up the gear on the old switch compared to the new switch and slide it in to lock it in place. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete