GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

The speedometer not working the tachometer isn't Working the

Customer Question
The speedometer not working the...
The speedometer not working the tachometer isn't Working the shift indicator light isn't working and the truck will not shift out of high gear can be driving along then all of a sudden you will hear a swishing noise from the tranny while driving and then everything goes back to normal and vehicle is fine.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GMC
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/17/2016
GMC Mechanic: Pete, GMC Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Pete, GMC Mechanic
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Have you had the fault codes checked at all for this issue here? Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Pete no fault codes and no check engine light
Can you tell me the year and model of this vehicle as well as engine size?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
THE TRUCK IS A 1995 GMC YUKON WITH A 5.7L
O.k.,there was a common fault with this issue here with the electronic ignition switch failing intermittently failing to send power signals on one or more of its circuits causing this issue.Locate the gauge fuse and the trans fuse and when this issue occurs test and see if these two fuses have battery voltage on at least one terminal the fuse plugs into while the issue is occuring.If there is no voltage this indicates the electronic ignition switch needs replaced.I have had to replace quite a few of these before for this fault here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Pete, GMC Mechanic