FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician
Experience:  Master Automotive Technician
1627031

I have a 05 gmc duramax it was running fine an it sit week

Customer Question

i have a 05 gmc duramax it was running fine an it sit for a week an now it will start for a second then shuts off i checked all the fuses i checked the prime changed the filter all good.i checked the fuel line to the injectors gets fuel when i crank the engine still no luck
Category: GMC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also the fuel gauge is staying on empty withe the light on it had a 1/4 tank and i added 5 more gallon just to make sure there was enough.when i changed the filter it gets tight within 3 or 4 pumps
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. Can you tell me if the fuel system seems to stay primed even after the truck starts for a few seconds?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it stays primed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any suggestions
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

You either have a failure in the relief valve in the fuel rail which is keeping the system from building enough pressure to fire through the injectors or there may be another issue. Do you have a scan tool that reads engine data and fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i dont have one ill try to see if i can use one. could it be possible for the security system
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

It is possible. If it was then the security light would be illuminated while the engine is cranking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok its one for about 20 second then goes off wile cranking them comes back on when i stop cranking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will try to get a scanner and try that thanks
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

That is normal. Please let me know what you find and we can continue if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i will let you know thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one more question what should the fuel pressure be at.
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

You should be able to build over 2000 psi while cranking. Let me know what you find and we can continue if needed.