GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I have a GMC Envoy XUV and the tailgate typically drops down…

Customer Question
I have a GMC...

I have a GMC Envoy XUV and the tailgate typically drops down but the electric press pads will not engage. Is there a fuse for this or what could it be besides the actual switch?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a GM. The GM Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

The electric Tailgate switch will not engage to lower the tailgate.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Made sure I am in park, doors unlocked and the rear window is completely down.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GMC
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2016
GMC Mechanic: Pete, GMC Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Pete, GMC Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What I have seen cause this here is the switch itself fails in some cases you can remove the interior tail gate paneling to access the connection to the switch and it may be corroded or have fallen off to where you know for sure it needs replaced.The other issues are the 3 latches on this model that lower and swing the tail gate.GM had released a bulletin on the 3 latches for this door failing and to replace them with the updated latches to correct faults like this as well.

The way to check to see if the latches is the cause or the switch (if no visible corrosion or damage is found) is to use a Tech 2 scan tool or similar that can actuate the latches to see if the tail gate swings as well as lowers.If it does then the latches are o.k. and the switch needs replaced.If the latches do not release or one or more hang up then the latches need replaced with the updated latch assemblies to correct this here.

If you cannot get the inner paneling off of this door due to it being stuck closed a scan tool like the Tech 2 scan tool plugged into your vehicle will be needed to actuate the latches so you can open it to remove the interior paneling.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete