Chris (aka-Moose), GMC Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Vehicle have light on dash with a lock symbol i have to play

Customer Question

vehicle have light on dash with a lock symbol i have to play with switch for it to start but will not come out of park and all lights on dash go off
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it started one night coming from work the lock light came on with a fault traction cont/stabilisor system warning i stopped at a gas station when i was about to leave would not start and locked in park.i disconnecten battery turn on ignition was able to shift to neutral drive home put it in park same problem
JA: OK got it. Last thing — GMC Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. Can I get the year, make, model, and engine?
  2. With the brake pressed are the rear brake lights on?
  3. Any trouble codes stored?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2009 gmc canyon.2.9
brake lights are on
no trouble code
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still have not received your answer

Sorry I do not work the morning shift, which is why I have not responded yet.

Do you have access to a scan tool that can perform the key reprogramming to see if this resolves the lock light coming on?

Will that same scan tool access the BCM to see if its getting the input from the brake switch when you want to shift from park?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't such a scan tool but I should be able to tomorrow

Super, let me know those results then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it should be able to

Thanks

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i didnt really get a answer from you on my 2009 gmc canyon, what i found out on scan was the body control module was bad. the part # ***** i replace it with a interchange part #20987862,which didnt work at all not even ignition.i put back the old one and it does start the truck with original problem.

Thanks for coming back, any luck on seeing if the BCM is getting a brake signal input?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The brake light does work .what's happening the scan tool can't some modems like abs transfer case, doors.plus when I start truck,everything inside stop working cluster ,fan ,radio,

Lets go after the easiest of these current issues the radio to see why it fails once started. Hopefully that diag and repair address most or all of the issues. Do you know how to remove the radio and do you have something to test 12 volt circuits?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked no voltage with truck running . the radio does work not running with ignition on.the fan also, the instrument cluster does light up with ignition but the gages don't move from zero.but as soon as you start motor everything goes goes off

So once started the radio fuse no longer has power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's correct ,the fan also

Open the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/rdofuse.png

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would have to check all those fuses in the morning

Okay