GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

This is from a previous post but I have the exact same issue…

Customer Question
This is from a previous...
This is from a previous post but I have the exact same issue with my 2015 Acadia Denali. Is there a noise filter that can be installed? Where is the satellite radio module located in this vehicle:
From 2008 Post:
Newbie
4 posts
Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:06 PM
I just purchased a 2008 GMC Acadia equipped with GM Delco/Bose audio system. Everything sounds great except for the XM Radio. There is a constant wine noise in which the pitch and intensity increase and decrease accordingly with engine RPM. The noise is barely noticeable when the engine as at idle, but it makes the XM unbearable to listen to in normal driving conditions. I called the dealership the day after I purchased the vehicle and they told me to bring it in and they would install a noise filter. About a week later, I took the vehicle into the dealership and demonstrated the problem to the service rep. The service rep called me later and said the radio works fine and that the noise I was hearing was caused by 'signal loss due to interferance of buidings or other objects blocking signal.' The service rep said there was no noise filter to install and the radio worked fine. I felt this was an insult to my intelligence. This is the 3rd car I have had with XM Radio. I understand that XM radio is not crysal clear and signal loss does occur from time to time. However, I can tell a difference between siganl loss/interference noise and noise caused by alternator/poor grouding. I'm taking my Acadia to another dealership to see what can be done. Anyone else experience or hear of this problem? Is there an easy fix?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GMC
2/29/2016
GMC Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago
Joe Prestia

In older vehicles this was often cause by the use of non resistor type spark plugs. I can't speak for sure that it would cause interference with XM but I can definitely screw with standard radio bands. I would suggest checking to see if it had aftermarket plugs of a different type in it. I would also check to see if there are any aftermarket ignition coils. Hope this helps! Let me know what you come up with!

GMC Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

Any luck figuring out this interference problem?

No, not yet. The vehicle was bought brand new just a few months ago so there should not be aftermarket parts in it. I've had it back to the dealer multiple times. They replaced the head unit and one speaker but no luck. It is very random and the noise only comes out of the drivers side door speaker. It gets louder as you accelerate and then may just totally disappear or sometimes the noise lasts for days. It only happens when on the XM source. No issues at all on FM/AM or Aux. The vehicle did have an aftermarket DVD player installed by the dealership (Advent). The dealership had the install company take a look but they claim it has nothing to do with their install. Any other ideas?
GMC Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

This is kind of a shot in the dark but does it still do it if you unplug the dvd player?

GMC Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

I am thinking that the mobile audio company may have checked their work and it seemed okay but they may not have considered it to be an issue with the unit or something that seems okay to them with their install might be causing an issue they didn't forsee. That being said I've never run across this issue before. If you can get me your VIN I will double check for tsb's that could be related. If your problem still persists with the aftermarket electronics unhooked let me know so I can opt out and see if any of the other mechanics have run into this issue (although it seems unlikely) Good luck!

the dealership disconnected the dvd player and they said they still heard the noise.
GMC Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

This is the 2015 acadia denali then correct? The imported message from your last question shows 2008 on my end.

it is a 2015 Acadia Denali. I just did a cut and paste from someone that I saw had the same issue (found doing internet research as not many people have had this issue). I will disconnect the DVD player and see what happens. My VIN is: 1GKKRTKD8FJ370376. Thanks for the help.
GMC Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

No problem. Sorry I didn't have the go to answer on this one! Lol. That being said I strive to offer the best service possible given a few limitations we have working this way. Please be sure to keep that in mind when leaving a 5 star rating ;)

Btw, I'm not coming up with anything related in tsb's. There are a couple of xm related bulletins but they're for completely different issues.

Joe Prestia
Joe Prestia
Joe Prestia