Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

2008 Yukon oil pressure light comes on, 166,000 miles.

Customer Question

2008 Yukon oil pressure light comes on, 166,000 miles. Replaced engine, used engine 33,000 miles with warranty for 36,000 or three years. The light tells me to stop engine immediately. The engine has been performing well for three months. When I checked the oil, oil was low. I added two quarts. The light went off and I drove it 10 ,iles home with no incident. In the morning, I drove it and before I went around the block, the light came back on and told me to stop the engine immediately, oil pressure low. What should I do?
Category: GMC
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 1 year ago.

was the oil low again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you available to chat now?
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 1 year ago.

yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just got back to a console, are you available now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked the oil again and it is full. Today, I started it up and the warning light "oil pressure low, stop engine" is off and there was no check engine light on when I started it. So, I drove to the gas station and the car wash, the check engine light came on at the car wash, but it seems to be running and functioning fine. However, the oil pressure indicator is fluctuating up and down. Even though it is full of oil, the pressure indicator shows less than 40 and up to 60, then 20. Its strange. I know the last motor had over 100,000 and I took it to GMC when the engine light came on. They installed a baffle in the oil pan and told me that the hybrids have been having problems with too much oil pressure in the 1st two cylinders. This worked for about a year, then I started having more problems with the old motor. It fouled plugs 1 & 2 about every 3 to 6 months and I would replace them instead of paying for a new motor. So, I know there is a defect with these motors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I drove the Yukon this afternoon with the engine light on and it ran fine. What would cause the oil pressure to fluctuate that way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John, where are you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Answer the question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a lot of things to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Asnwer the questions please
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 1 year ago.

im here I apoligise had a busy day at the shop.. did you pull codes for the engine light ? Do you have a scan tool?