GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

Changed the water pump on my 05 gmc duramax. when I started

Customer Question
it it ran for 30...
changed the water pump on my 05 gmc duramax. when I started it it ran for 30 seconds and shut off and wont start now. and my name is Geoff
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it acts like its not getting fuel changed the fuel filter and the pump is working
JA: OK got it. Last thing — GM Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GMC
2/3/2016
GMC Mechanic: Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic

Hi there Geoff, I am Cam.

I am not sure if you have used our service before or not. The experts here are third party contractors. Myself, I am a GM technician in a Gm dealership. I will be happy to help you. Please understand that my only compensation for the time spent helping you is by your rating of my service in a positive way. The more information you provide, the better the chances of getting your issue resolved. Also please reply if you have any followup questions.

So about your vehicle, I would be concerned about the connector for the crank shaft position sensor or the camshaft position sensor on the front of the engine. Did either of those come loose or have any wiring issues there? "

Are you also able to scan for codes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i did scan for codes there are none we checked that to crank shaft sensor that is
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if the sensor is bad would it throw a code

It should.

Does your scanner show engine rpm?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. It just diagnoses codes. I don't know why rpm would matter because it doesn't start.

Because the computer controls everything and it needs to see an engine speed signal. I believe we're going to find something is pinched or disconnected somewhere surrounding the water pump replacement. If the RPM is registering in the computer, and we could be looking at a few injection control module issue. If you crank the engine for 15 seconds and then scan for codes, do you get anything then?

Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic