GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

I was switching the mirror switch on the door on my 2014 GMC

Customer Question
Sierra. I guess I got...
I was switching the mirror switch on the door on my 2014 GMC Sierra. I guess I got the wrong switch. Smoke came out from fuse box. No burnt fuses. Can't roll down any Windows but the drivers side. Got the right switch now but that doesn't work either now. Help please. Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GMC
1/31/2016
GMC Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), GMC Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka-Moose), GMC Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

First off check the MIR WINDOW MDL 5 amp fuse do both sides of it have battery voltage using the test pins on the face of the fuse?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Checked the fuse and actually went through all the fuses and everything lights up. I can smell the burnt in the fuse box. Thanks

Remove this fuse, are the connections to it burnt or discolored and is is a 5 amp fuse?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It looks good. Nothing wrong with fuse

Thanks, ***** ***** left dash fuse box do the same check at the LT DRS fuse 30 amp and in the right dash fuse box same inspections on RT DR WINDOW MTR 30amp fuse. So far its all pointing to a failed circuit board inside the fuse box.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah. Checked all fuses. Literally been out there checking all fuses for like last 4 hours or so. Circuit board? Does that mean I need a new fuse box? Thanks

That would be correct, a new fuse box, and that is just to resolve the odor. Though that repair will not address the faulty mirrors, the fuse for them is is good. The power mirror switch needs power on the red/violet and ground on the black. Are you SURE the smoke came from the fuse box? I find it odd for all the fuses effecting the 2 issues you have to not have any damage and are powered.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Darn! Well I'm 90% sure now I guess. Took the box off the truck and you can really smell it on the box. Like it came from there. Do you have any ideas of where else it would come from? It was shooting straight down from where the fuse cover is at on the truck. Thanks

Can you jump over to check the power and ground to the mirror switch, since that caused this, the fuse is powered, and its still not working. Wiring i nthe door jam or near the fuse box is what I am leaning most towards.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How can I do that? I'm not really sure how I do that. Thanks

Do you have a volt meter or test light?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do have a test light

Unplug the mirror switch, clamp to chassis ground, and probe the wire color pin I mentioned that is power. Clamp to something powered, and probe the ground wire I mentioned to see if the switch is getting ground.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry it got dark yesterday and couldn't finish. Did it this morning and I'm getting ground but not any power on the switch
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I power it straight through then the power adjuster works. So it has to do with something in the wiring under the dash I believe. Thanks

That is correct, its the wiring since you confirmed the MIR WINDOW MDL 5 amp fuse is good and powered. Can you trace this wire red/violet through the door jam to the fuse box to look for a break or burn.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried that and looked as far as I could and didn't see anything. Looks more levels ke I'm going to have to take it in so they can look at the issue. My window rolls down and I can use the he child lock. That's all that works on the door.

Best of luck at the shop. Glad I could help up to where your skill level was reached.

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off. I am also sending an offer allowing me to upload diagrams or repair guides if that helps.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), GMC Technician