GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

The battery died from lack of use. call auto club battery…

Customer Question
The battery died from...

The battery died from lack of use. call auto club for jump battery charged alarm activated but car does not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Yes Don battery appear to be fully charge but when attempt to turn ignition the alarm activates lights flash but engeine will not turn over.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GMC
1/28/2016
GMC Mechanic: Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic

Hi there, I am Cam.
Can I get your first name please?
I am not sure if you have used our service before or not. The experts here are third party contractors. Myself, I am a GM technician in a Gm dealership. I will be happy to help you. Please understand that my only compensation for the time spent helping you is by your rating of my service in a positive way. The more information you provide, the better the chances of getting your issue resolved. Also please reply if you have any followup questions.
So about your vehicle,

What is the year and model please.

2004 gmc yukon denali

Ok, this may require only a reset.

Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle. If you have 2 batteries, then remove both and touch only one set.

After that,it may need a relearn of the security system.

Turn the key on and attempt to start the car, It may crank, it may start and stall or it may do nothing at all, this is fine, still cycle the key to start then release the key back to run. Wait 10 minutes with the key in run. The passlock light should be flashing and the DIC will say "Service Vehicle" or "Security" or have a picture of a car with a lock during that 10 minute span. After 10 minutes has passed, turn off the car, count to 10, and try to start it again and release the key back to run. Wait another 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again and release the key to run. Wait another 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again. It should start up this time. The passlock has been learned. During this process, turn the fans off, radio off and cycle the headlights off so the battery will not go dead. If needed, use a battery charger.