Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

My 2008 Yukon Denali have problems shifting third. It delays

Customer Question

My 2008 Yukon Denali have problems shifting third. It delays shifting and makes a hard noise after shift.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

hi there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name please?
Can you tell me if you have a check engine light on?
Also can you tell me what the condition of the transmission fluid is? If possible can you please be very specific on the colour? The shade, any particles like dark or shine bits all will help narrow this down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check engine light is on but no codes from transmission. Transmission fluid is full. Color looks fine. I will need to verify if I can see any particles.Lorenzo

Ok does it change more when hot or cold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It makes the same noise cold or hot. It is a hard sound only when shifting from third to fourth. During the first two shifts it works fine. After that it works ok.

Ok, Is this the 4 speed or 6 speed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure, I think is four. It's a Yukon Denali 6.2 L. engine.

Post your VIN and I can tell from the GM system what it is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IGKFK63828J105948

You have a 6 speed. Looking through the manual for any bulletins I don't see any. With no codes stored, I am thinking you have an internal transmission issue, possibly a sticking valve, failing bushing, piston, clutch pack or something along that line. MY question to you is this, what are you wanting to do then? I don't recommend the average owner start internal transmission repairs as there are many moving parts and even many techs won't touch them.

MY suggestion honestly is to seek out a reputable transmission shop and consider repairs there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an idea of repair cost? Or replacement?

Parts, the cost of a replacement is about 3200 for the unit complete with a good warranty. Repairs could range from(###) ###-####. Its really hard to say without deeper diagnosis.

IS there more information I can get you?

I am not sure if you have been to the site before, if not here is a brief rundown of how it works. I am not in an office, I am a technician in a GM dealer, third party contracted to the site. I only get paid for my time when you provide a rating of a positive nature.