Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

2007 GMC Acadia with 172k. POO11 and various other DTC codes

Customer Question

Customer: 2007 GMC Acadia with 172k. POO11 and various other DTC codes sets prior to the replacement.Also replaced the valve stem seals. Reassembled and drove 50+ ***** ***** with no issues.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Vehicle now has P0011 and P0014 (Bank1 Timing advanced) and is obviously running rough. Both camshaft solenoids were replaced as aresult of a faulty Bank 2 sensor A solinoid.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to GMC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure. Do you have my name as ***** *****?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GMC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While the camshaft covers were off I did not measure camshaft end play.Full disclosure the timing chain and valve seal job was done with the motor in the vehicle. I tried as best as I could to "work clean" however some silicone scrapings from the old timing cover sealant made its way into the oil pan. I used a qt. of naphtha to flush the oil pan from the timing cover side and blew it with a air nozzle.My initial thought was debris in the Cam Phasers or the new Cam Actuator Solenoids however I am now reading about GM's problems with 07' 3.6 motors with subpar camshaft thrust bearings that resulted in head/camshaft replacement.The motor had/has engine coking issues as EVERYTHING that did not have metal to metal contact has/had a heavy layer of engine coking. I cleaned up as much as I could reach and the motor purred for the 50+ miles that it ran for until the DTC codes were set. Per another knowledgeable post in a Camero forum I have opened up the "Clean" side (Bank 1) camshaft cover bung to allow for the byproducts to vent properly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the multiple posts as this is my first time using this service.At this time I DO NOT need a Live Phone Call. When I clicked on it I thought it was a direct connection to a expert. I will still request the email response as we are a two car family with myself commuting 100+ miles. The short version is my Wife needs her car back...lol.
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

Hello sir and thanks for using the service, I am Reggie and am honored to try and help you. So your concern is these codes. First let me say from the pics you sent, very good job really neat I like that. Your pics is that the completed operation and is that the way you timed it?

Hotline Archive

With Service Manuals diagrams, components, TSBs, and R&R procedures

Number:497727

Vehicle Application:

2007 STS 3.6

2007 Acadia 3.6

Customer Concern:Code P0011.

Average Reported Mileage:72093

Tests/Procedures:1. Check for oil change neglect.

2. If the engine is dirty inside, change the oil at some short intervals and see if the code no longer resets.

3. If it still resets, swap the Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Solenoid Replacement - Bank 1 (Right Side) Intake with one of the other solenoids.

4. Check for the code to set for the new location of the solenoid.

5. If a new code sets, and code P0011 no longer sets, the solenoid is defective

I included that archive report for you although from the pic i seen your engine looked clean. You mentioned it ran fine for 50 miles or so, When you done the heads did you do anything to address oiling, as in remove pan, clean screen, flush system

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Reggie, my name is***** for the compliment. I try and work as neat as possible as I know that tracing possible fluid leaks is dependent on that.Besides the P0011 there is also P0014 (Bank 1 "A" and "B" timing over-advanced ) DTC code. There was also an intermittent "Service Stabiltrack" and "Service Traction Control" in the DIC prior to the MIL.The second picture is of Stage 2 timing prior to replacing the timing cover. I used the attached Techlink article to properly perform the timing.I am out of town when this problem occurred today and have not had an opportunity to see if I can remove the oil pan with the motor in the vehicle (If I recollect correctly the Chilton's manual says "NO").If it is a debris issue do you have an oil pathway schematic so that I know what and where to flush from?What is the best way to flush a Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valves? Both "A" and "B" are brand new with the welded screens.Would I need to go as far as cleaning the camshaft cap that has the oil passageways prior to the cam phasers and the camshaft pathway holes into the cam phasers?My wife took this short video just prior to pulling in to our garage today. I asked her to immediately shut it down once it was in the garage just before she pulled the DTCs.Thanks for your time and expertise.

Excellent information. About the flushing I have encountered problems with the timing solenoids on this engine multiple times and not once but every single time the problem or the fault of it could be traced back to oil pressure. The problem with these and all timing solenoids is that they are the very last part to get oil. What I usually see is sludge and deposits from the lack of proper maintenance. The screen stops up in thr oil pan. In most cases a good flush product will do the job. Bg chemicals has the best for my money. We have these here in the shop I'm sure a repair shop in your town would sell u the kit. Lets start with a good flush of oil system.