Randall
Randall, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 Years Diagnostic and repair,Electrical specialist
13677702

Does anyone know about the fuel gauge wiring in an 85

Customer Question

does anyone know about the fuel gauge wiring in an 85 monte carlo
Category: GMC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i put aftermarket gauges in my stock bezel and did away with the whole circuit board and backside of the doghouse for clearance all i need to know is on the stock fuel gauge there is two prongs that the guage plugged into what wires from the connector do i need to hook up to the gauge to get it to work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Hello, sorry for the delay, Do you still need help with this question? if so, how many terminals does your new fuel guage have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do ok here's the thing I changed all the gauges except the fuel gauge it's the stock gauge there are 2 terminals on the back if the gauge but... The entire printed circuit board and backside if the doghouse is now gone all I want to do is basically hardwire the gauge to work I just need to know which wires to hook up to the gauge from the harness connector and if I need to ground it out
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

well most are all 3 terminals, so I am thinking that the case on yours is the ground, then the pink/black wire in the harness is key on power and the pink wire is the sender wire,.black would be the ground, I cant say whch way to hook the pink and pink/black wires to it but if it works in reverse, switch them, Here is a link to the factory guage setup

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's the thing on the back of the gauge there are two prongs that plugs into the doghouse...where would I hook a ground to
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

goes it have a metal housing, if so have to tape a ground to it or solder to it,I sent the factory diagram for s 1985 and not being there looking is a bit difficult so,, I am thinking you have to ground the housing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok there are a total of four prongs on the back of the gauge two plug into the housing and the other two are mounting studs to secure the gauge to the bezel I attached two separate wires one on each terminal so essentially I could put one more wire on a mounting stud and ground it out in your opinion would that be a decent enough ground
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

yes,,, and that is likely the factory ground anyways,it grounded that way to the board

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll try that however it will be a bit I'll post back when I'm able to do so thank you kindly for your advice
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

ok, your welcome., Please remember to rate my service I have provided, Rating does NOT close this post so you can still get back with me on this post and thanks