Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. former shop owner/ manager
2947720

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax 4x4. I changed all

Customer Question

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax 4x4. I changed all my glow plugs about 500 miles ago. I just tried starting it and it won't start. The glow plug light stays on for awhile then goes off, but won't start. Throws code P0661 glow plug one with open
circuit.I erase the pending code and then it shows code po667 glow plug 7 open circuit. I erase it and keeps going back and forth from 1 to 7. And still won't start.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Do you have the VIN on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can go get it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1GTHK23296F107382
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I see, thanks.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

There has been a factory recall for that type of concern. It involves a software update for the vehicle’s computer and has to be done by a dealer, I hate to have to say.

.

.

Here is a link to what it states. You can copy and paste it into a new browser and rate the answer on this page.

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpw4fmwdibgzpel/Recall%20for%20glow%20plug%20controller.pdf?dl=0

.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Did you get that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't open. Is there a recall number When was the recall.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I had to move the file. I can put it back for short time. #06522 - (03/24/2006) Thanks.

.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ItIt says, the file you're looking for has been moved or deleted
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Did it open that time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would the problem show up now if it was a recall in 2006
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

That's just how electronics and computers are

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

If you don't think that it is a software problem then you would most likely have to replace the PCM but the dealer would flash it for free.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, that is part of the recall. The entire file would have to be emailed to you, thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to get it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it appears my dropbox is full. Didn't even know I had dropbox.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Let me see if I can post some of it here.

Models:
2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO, EXPRESS, KODIAK
2006 GMC SIERRA, SAVANA, TOPKICK EQUIPPED WITH 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY)

Condition

Certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine, may have a condition in which the engine glow plugs are overstressed electronically, causing glow plug failure and engine damage in some cases.

Correction

Dealers are to reprogram the glow plug Control Module (GPCM).

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I will contact the dealer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just don't see how it the problem would show up now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called the dealer and gave them my vin. He said I had brought the vehicle in back in 2006. And they corrected the recall.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I change the glow plug controller, does it have to flashed or programed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not going to rate you till my questions are answered.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I see, thanks. It seems that the controller is bad. If a new glow plug control module is installed, they will have to program the module. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the controller and module the same or two different things.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Glow plug control module. It is a module that controls the glow plugs, the name sort of gives it away. Thanks and Happy Holidays to you.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

You had said, "till my questions are answered", so does that mean you will rate them now?