GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax 4x4. I changed all

Customer Question
my glow plugs about 500...
I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax 4x4. I changed all my glow plugs about 500 miles ago. I just tried starting it and it won't start. The glow plug light stays on for awhile then goes off, but won't start. Throws code P0661 glow plug one with open
circuit.I erase the pending code and then it shows code po667 glow plug 7 open circuit. I erase it and keeps going back and forth from 1 to 7. And still won't start.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GMC
12/14/2015
GMC Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Do you have the VIN on it?

I can go get it.
1GTHK23296F107382

I see, thanks.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

There has been a factory recall for that type of concern. It involves a software update for the vehicle’s computer and has to be done by a dealer, I hate to have to say.

.

.

Here is a link to what it states. You can copy and paste it into a new browser and rate the answer on this page.

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpw4fmwdibgzpel/Recall%20for%20glow%20plug%20controller.pdf?dl=0

.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

.

Did you get that?

It won't open. Is there a recall number When was the recall.

I had to move the file. I can put it back for short time. #06522 - (03/24/2006) Thanks.

.

.

ItIt says, the file you're looking for has been moved or deleted

Did it open that time?

Why would the problem show up now if it was a recall in 2006

That's just how electronics and computers are

If you don't think that it is a software problem then you would most likely have to replace the PCM but the dealer would flash it for free.

Sorry, that is part of the recall. The entire file would have to be emailed to you, thanks

Were you able to get it?

No it appears my dropbox is full. Didn't even know I had dropbox.

Let me see if I can post some of it here.

Models:
2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO, EXPRESS, KODIAK
2006 GMC SIERRA, SAVANA, TOPKICK EQUIPPED WITH 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY)

Condition

Certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine, may have a condition in which the engine glow plugs are overstressed electronically, causing glow plug failure and engine damage in some cases.

Correction

Dealers are to reprogram the glow plug Control Module (GPCM).

ok, I will contact the dealer.
I just don't see how it the problem would show up now.
I called the dealer and gave them my vin. He said I had brought the vehicle in back in 2006. And they corrected the recall.
If I change the glow plug controller, does it have to flashed or programed.
Not going to rate you till my questions are answered.

I see, thanks. It seems that the controller is bad. If a new glow plug control module is installed, they will have to program the module. Thanks

Is the controller and module the same or two different things.

Glow plug control module. It is a module that controls the glow plugs, the name sort of gives it away. Thanks and Happy Holidays to you.

You had said, "till my questions are answered", so does that mean you will rate them now?

Jerry, Master Mechanic