Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

Haveing a family discussion Question can you damage the

Customer Question

Hi haveing a family discussion
Question can you damage the transition by shifting an auto slowing down or on speeding up ?
One opinion no it will wreck your tansmition
Other it does it no harm
What's the true answer ??
Category: GMC
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

It will not damage the transmission however you want to be careful not to have it over rev the engine. It downshifts on it's own at preset conditions and there is a certain amount of transmission braking happening with it left in drive. So, technically it will not hurt the transmission as it does it anyhow, but it's not really designed to operate that way.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!